Tuesday 29 May 2012

The Lakes



I went to the Lake District for the first time at the weekend and what a glorious weekend it was. The sun was looking down on me all weekend which was lovely. I ventured to Patterdale  which is a small village north of Lake Windermere. Patterdale lies on the southern tip of Ullswater and is absolutely breathe taking. The lake is less touristy than Windermere but no less beautiful and tranquil. I stayed on a campsite situated at the back of Side Farm which is just off the main road as you drive through Patterdale. I don't think I've been to a more well placed campsite. Where you camp is right on the edge of Ullswater and there are plenty of little pebbly beaches surrounding the site so you can jump straight in the water for a swim or take a boat in and start paddling. At only £8 a night per adult I think it's an absolute steal and I would definitely go back for another visit. Patterdale is at the foot of the mountains so there are pathways a plenty to start walking along for experienced walkers and for those who just want a gentle stroll.

I think the biggest think that struck me about being in the Lake District is who lucky I am to live in such and amazing country with this kind of colourful scenery. I climbed a near by hill and looked out over the surrounding countryside and couldn't have felt more relaxed and calm about the world around me. It all seems like a bit of a dream now.  I also learnt that shops in the Lake District can't sell take away hot drinks because of the littering it may cause. There may be a few disgruntled people who can't get their caffeine fix, but it is a necessity in this throw away day and age that such rules apply. The countryside is unspoilt and should remain that way. I can't believe it's taken me so long to make a proper trip to the Lakes. Now I have, I can't wait to start planning my next Lake adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment