Saturday 24 July 2010

CLA Game Fair 2010


Ragley Hall was the back drop for the 2010 CLA Game Fair. A dramatic setting and a dramatic event. Horse and Hound on parade, dogs chasing pheasant dummies, archery and fishing all to the song of rifles and other guns being shot in the background. The summer is the time when game keepers will be rearing their birds in time for the beginning of the shooting season come autumn. With many stands and shops available those wanting to find out more about the game industry it's certainly a great place to be to be educated. I spoke to Alex Butler who is the Central England Advisor from the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust about the organisation and what it brings to the event. I also chatted to Charles Nodder from the National Gamekeepers Organisation to get the latest on current shooting issues.

Game Fair by bribriwilliam


But it's not just a place to sit and observe, there are many activities going on that anyone can take part in. I had a go at Clay Pigeon shooting and managed to hit two!I think I need a little more practice.
But apart from the fun and games the scale of the Game Fair just mirrors the size of the industry in rural communities. Game shoots add to the rural economy and Game Keepers can help preserve the wildlife in the countryside. The proud smiles of dog owners showing their animals skill, agility and obedience when it comes to working the land.





As a dog lover I was impressed by the standard and variety of the working dogs that were on show. I felt slightly out of place with out a dog at my heels but there were plenty around that I could pretend were mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment