Saturday 20 March 2010

Spring Time Lamb Time

Today is officially the first day of spring here in the UK. Even though it’s been a harsh winter and we haven’t seen the daffodils or the snowdrops blossom quite like they should have done, one thing about this time of year hasn’t changed.

Lambing. It’s the time of year that sheep farmers are ready on call at all hours of the day and night to aid any ewes that need assistance giving birth.


I visited a farm in the Rhondda Valley that is home to over 500 sheep. Caerlan Farm is a family run holding and I spent the day with father and daughter, Geoff and Rachel Thomas to find out more about lambing.






It was great to get out and about and get a feel for what farmers go through around this time. Not that I'm an expert already but I did learn a lot more about not just the highlights of lambing but some of the more trying moments for sheep farmers.

The lambing cycle begins in autumn when the lambs are served. The gestation period for ewes is about 5 months, so as days get brighter lambing season gets nearer. Sheep could have one lamb, twins or even three. The bond between ewe and lamb is not quite as straightforward as you might think.

Lambing Feature by bribriwilliams


I feel very lucky to have had the chance to see how Welsh farmers tend their flocks, I've had my taster of lambing live!

No comments:

Post a Comment